home about contact product love sponsor

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Survival Mode

You know those days when you have a million things to do, so you whisper a quiet prayer as you lay your little on down for his nap, begging God to let him sleep for at least 2 hours? Just two hours, that's all you ask! And then after like 45 minutes, he wakes up full of energy and ready to get on with his day? Then he spends the rest of the afternoon hugging your legs and crying to be held because he's tired and fussy and needed to sleep longer? Yeah. That was my day today. I know you've all been there.

I have work to finish and presents to wrap and mail and fudge to make and cookies to decorate for the cookie exchange party I'm co-hosting tomorrow. There is laundry to be done and dishes to wash and damn it I just realized I need a candy thermometer for that fudge. Anyone have a candy thermometer I can borrow?

Emmett had a huge diaper blow out smack dab in the middle of the longest Post Office line anyone's ever seen this afternoon. I should have seen it coming. The same thing happened yesterday at Safeway while I frantically searched for Karo syrup, which by the way, is located next to the maple syrup and NOT -- I repeat -- NOT -- in the baking aisle. I finally found it, no thanks to the 15 different employees I hunted down to ask for help. "In the baking aisle," they all said. After all that I bought dark Karo syrup instead of the light Karo syrup that the recipe calls for. Wonderful. I blame the smell wafting up at me from the flailing child in my arms.

Some days you just have to survive. Some days you give up on living life to the fullest and just try to get through it all. Take me for instance. I had big plans for this afternoon. Instead I changed a poopy diaper in the backseat of my tiny car in the Post Office parking lot. Then angry-texted my husband ten-times-too-many cursing about candy thermometers and Karo syrup and why the hell is it 82 degrees outside today?! At this very moment I'm watching Emmett throw dirt at the dog in the back yard while I practice calming breathing techniques and type out this blog post. Just keeping my head down and doing what I have to do to survive. And I'm okay with that.




4 comments:

  1. Loved this. Yes I've been there, many times over. Postino's date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah girl! Can we make it a lunch date though...? Also with wine???

      Delete
  2. You're not alone! I'm glad you said it aloud: we don't need to carpenter diem every moment. :) Also, why are the Holidays so stressful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right!? Why are they so stressful. My coworker said today that everyone seems to be grouchy around the holidays. Something's wrong with that!


    Less stress, more family time and focusing on what's really important. Easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...