home about contact product love sponsor

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Emmett's Words

Our little Emmett is a talking machine these days! When we were in Georgia over Thanksgiving, we spent time with a few of Emmett's little friends there and I remember saying to Ray that Emmett seemed to be pretty far behind all of them when it came to speech. He was still only saying "mama," "dada," and "nana" for banana. That was it. But then my dad taught him to say "Papa!" in the world's cutest exclamation and everyone went crazy for it. It was like something clicked in his little brain after that- he realized he could speak, and people would love it! Since then, his little vocabulary has grown and grown.



I thought it would be fun to make a list of everything he says these days, so that we'll remember all of his little words.
  • Mama
  • Dada
  • Nana for banana
  • Papa! for my dad, always with a little exclamation
  • Mem! for Ray's mom, short for Memere (French word for grandma, or "older mother)
  • oh for ball because we say "uhoh" whenever he drops things and he thinks balls are just for dropping
  • ba ba for bath bath, his favorite
  • wah wah for water, his other favorite
  • wahl for wall. Don't know why he picked this one up, but he points to walls now and says "wahl" all day
  • mmmmmooooo for cows
  • ah ah aoooo for dogs, because of Doggies by Sandra Boynton
  • ooh ooh for monkeys
  • baaaa for sheep
  • for ducks he sticks his little tongue out and says nnn nnn like a duck's beak I guess? No idea but it's really cute.
  • hot! for anything with a temperature, be it hot or cold or warm or cool
  • brrrrr with a little shiver for anything cold. or hot if he's feeling tired. Here's a little video:


Brrrrr from Anna Kate Keller on Vimeo
.
  • na na for nap nap
  • eyes! for eyes, which he points to and giggles every time
  • noway with a head shake for no, because apparently I say "No way, Jose" much more than I realized.. This one is Ray's favorite.
  • lye for light, thanks to the Christmas tree. :)
  • boh for bow
  • bah for box, again, thanks to Christmas presents
  • Hi with a smile because he's just really sweet and loves to say hello
  • buh bye always with a question mark at the end because he really wishes it wasn't goodbye
  • bwoo for blue! So proud of my little for knowing his colors. He can point out red, blue, green, orange, yellow, and white, and we're working on black, purple and pink. So far he can only say blue. Not bad!
  • mamel for camel because he really loves the camel in our nativity set
  • uh owww for uhoh
  • oww for ouch
  • mo! for more which usually means he's stilllllll hungry
  • hewp for help. This is a new one and I love it so much.


That's all I can remember at the moment but I'm sure there are a few more. He's such a sweet, smart boy and I can't get enough of his little voice! It's so awesome to get little glimpses into his mind when he learns how to use new words or how to string them together to get his point across. He's amazing.

4 comments:

  1. Their little voices are sooo sweet, aren't they? I'm always surprised with the new words Levi is saying these days. Yesterday was "yucky". Do I use that word? I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Isn't it so funny! They pick up words you don't even remember saying! It's so awesome. :)

      Delete
  2. Emmett is getting so big! I love his list of words. I should have written one for Jack but now there are too many to remember! You do such a great job documenting Emmett's milestones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying! I want to remember all of these sweet little things he says and does. If I don't write them down, I'll never remember!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...